During preproduction the 1st AD works in conjunction with the UPM in organizing the crew, securing equipment
script break down, stripboard (production board) prep, and shooting schedule. During production he/she assists the director with respect to on-set production details, coordinates and supervises crew and cast activities and facilitates an organized flow of production activity.
Specific duties will include:
- Prepare script breakdown and preliminary shooting schedule with the UPM
- Aid in location business, as delegated by the UPM
- Check weather reports
- Prepare day-out-of-day schedules for talent employment and determine the cast and crew calls
- Supervise the preparation of the call sheet for cast and crew
- Direct background action and supervise crowd control
- Supervise the functioning of the shooting set and crew
Generally in charge of overseeing the day-to-day management of the cast and crew including scheduling, equipment, script and the set.